{My Grey Area } spacer
spacer
spacer
powered by blogger

{12.08.2004}

 
I'm halfway through my second week at my brand new real-adult job. So far, everything's going well, and when I start getting paid next week, I'm sure I'll like it even better. VERY poor right now, folks.

A couple of public transportation tidbits now that I've rejoined the bussing & training world:
*Yesterday I helped an 87-year old man get from the VA Hospital (where I work) to downtown and even missed my bus to be sure he got on his alright. Yes, I'm bragging about how nice I was to a cute little old man. It makes me feel really good inside; deal with it.
*Today, a middle-aged white guy got on the train at the Lake Street/Midtown station and talked his WHOLE way to the Nicollet Mall. He started with me...Nodding towards my copy of Swahili for the Brokenhearted, he said, "Wow, you're learning Swahili--cool!" I said "No, actually I'm not." What? I didn't want to talk to him, I wanted to read my book! So he turns slightly and starts talking about a history class he recently took at the U. Four mind-numbingly random subjects and four stations later, he had just begun an oral dissertation on how MetroTransit should have put platforms on BOTH sides of the tracks, when a teenage-ish black girl whips around and says, "Who you be talkin' to, man?" Without a moment's hesitation, he replied, "Oh, I don't know, the invisible men in the room, maybe?" Asante sana, mzungu. You're hilarious.

And one more thing. When I got home from work today, there was a note taped to the door reminding us to "please take our trash out regularly." Seems someone's apartment had an awful and mysterious odor a la rotting garbage wafting out of it and the landlord had to sarcastically remind the resident where we actually DISPOSE of the trash. I live in the lap of luxury here in St. Minneapolouis Park!

8:30 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
spacer