|
9.02.2004
Things I learned this week at Mayo:
1. "Earl," the midnight maintenance man of the Hilton & Guggenheim buildings, sleeps for at least three solid hours of his presumably 8-hour shift. Twice this week, at least. I know because my apparently extremely loud walking-out-of-the-building-process roused him from his slumber on both occasions. He did NOT look happy.
2. Two of my bosses claim to know how to do the lambada. The same two bosses who have taken the cake (along with pretty much everyone else in this lab) for the Boringest Men Alive. Oh, and I tested one of my bosses' serum samples today. Thanks HIPAA, for giving me the strength to not whisper his results to the entire lab.
3. It bugs me to no end when people talk too much. Like where you know they know you're not listening anymore (or trying your damnedest not to, at least), but yet they're still talking. And not in a quiet, I'm-talking-mostly-to-myself-voice, either. It gets to the point where you're sure they're doing it for the sole purpose of annoying you. So that's when I start humming a made-up tune just a little too loudly. Booya.
4. Pay me $12.02 an hour and you get this revelation: If you "accidentally" pour dry ice into a sink and then "accidentally" turn on the water, and THEN, a few minutes later, "accidentally" pour expired chemicals down the drain, you get what ends up looking like a cross between a Lava Lamp and a Winger video. SUPER gnarly. (I'm keeping myself chaste for Kip, by the way...Someday my prince will come.)
5. Turns out that if you can get past the first icy-cool two weeks in the Central Clinical Lab, the social weather forecast suddenly looks a lot more promising. In the past three days, people have JUST started being nice to me here, and tomorrow's my last day. Go figure.
6. When my favorite call-her-all-the-time buddy is gone, it's really hard to actually take a 30-minute lunch without getting extremely bored with my own thoughts 'round about 12 minutes in or so.
I'm taking a poll, also. Who should my beneficiary be? Apparently Mayo will pay someone $25,000 if I die or get dismembered, and $1000 if I get HIV or hepatitis. Any takers?
2:56 PM
|
 |