|
5.15.2003
SWEET! So Europe IS blogtastic!!! I'm a little pissed that I actually have to PAY to use the internet now, but...I guess it's worth it or something. Whatever.
Leiden is just as I left it. I feel so at home here; it's really unbelievable. My Dutch isn't AS bad as I thought it would be, either, so I'm super pumped about that, as well. A few observations to share before my time runs out:
*Sometimes people collapse in front of the ATM and then the ambulance comes to pick them up. Maybe this guy just realized that he had NO money, and he was so shocked that he had a heart attack. Ooh, that's kinda not nice to say, but...moving on...
*Other times people on mopeds (which I HATE with a passion) hit people on regular bikes (which I LOVE) and the person on the regular bike falls into the middle of a busy street. Luckily, the girl was okay, but geez, guys. Moped safely, please. You hurt people.
*Yesterday I had my first HEMA hotdog in one year's time. It was amazing. Not quite orgasmic, but VERY close to it. Only playin', of course, but I'm thinking that to save money I'll just have one hotdog everyday and a Heineken (the REAL Dutch kind that actually tastes good) to wash it down. That should sustain me, I think. We'll see.
*When guys from Northern Africa see you on the street and think you're hot, they hiss at you like snakes, presumably in the hope that you'll hear them, think "Oh my God! There's a snake behind me!!!" and turn around to glance at them, date them, have sex with them, etc. Weird kids, man. I know I turned around (cuz I'm dumb), but I think the face I made was kinda a mean one. Some people--well, one person, actually, says that my mad face is more of a mad/sexy face, so...hopefully I gave them the ACTUAL mean one; that was certainly my intention.
*Sara's host mom (I'm staying with her host family for the time being) is REALLY cute. She found out that I don't like meat, and so she made a special entree last night just for me. It was erg lekker (See? Ik kan nog een beetje Nederlands praten!). What a nice lady. What unruly hair, though. My God.
*It's a bit unsettling to be in Europe with nowhere to stay. I know that everything will work out some way or another, but I just wish I knew what the #%&$ was going on. And I wish one of my friends would say, "Boy, Karen, it'd be pretty cool if you stayed with ME," instead of me having to ask. Bite the bullet, Karen.
*Italiaanse bol met kaas en salami from C'est du Pain in the train station. Yummmmmmmmy! I know I said only a hotdog a day, but certainly I could squeeze in one of these guys and a Margherita pizza from Tin-Tin sometime, right? :)
*There are mullets here. I shit you not. And people who wear skirts over their pants, but that's beside the point. Mullets go global!!!
*The computer next to me has a screen saver that is cycling through a series of semi-attractive Indian women in senior-picture poses. Is this Hindu porn? Hmm...
Okay, I don't really have anything else to write about at the moment. Not that what I just wrote qualified as anything meaningful anyways, but...how many times do I have to say it? This is MY webjournal, so...step off, bitch. I'm in Europe, and that's all that matters!
7:02 AM
|
 |