{My Grey Area } spacer
spacer
spacer
powered by blogger

{5.27.2003}

 
It is a tough job to entertain guests, man! Surprising that I didn't have time to blog, though...I don't feel like me & Mel actually DID much of anything while she was here...but Nederland is my favorite country to sit around in, so...it's all good. At any rate, I apologize for the lack of new blogular material.

Sara made an astute observation as I was walking her out to the bus stop yesterday morning: "The Pelikaanhof elevator smells like urine & crayons." Tis true, Sara, but what a combination! Gotta love it.

Sara, Melissa, & Karen go out to eat Indonesian food on the Beestenmarkt. There is an American kid about our age sitting at the table behind us, and he is alone. ALONE. So imagine our surprise when he butted into our conversation because "he studied here" and thought he could "offer us some help." Cocky-ass American men bug me. But anyways, fast-forward some 25 minutes or so. He gets up to leave, but is abruptly snagged by the long arm of the law...I mean, a couple of Texan tourists at another table. He happily sits down to talk to them about the subject he supposedly knows the MOST about in the whole world: the Netherlands, duh!!! The friendly-looking, but obviously clueless parent-type Texan people are enthralled by his descriptions of the best parts of the Netherlands and the "best time of his life." Nerrrrrr. But then he says this: "...Sometimes you just have to stop and think, ya know? This place is SOOOOOOOOOO beautiful. It's like Disneyworld!" Gaatsie darrie, zeg! (for now, translate that as WHAT THE FUCK???) At first I wanted to laugh...now I want to hang my head in shame. Stupid Americans.

I had a dream two nights ago that I was attacked by a horse that I rented to ride during my commencement processional. There was a LOT more to it, but...umm...don't ask.

Karen walks into the room where Sara & Mel are just chillin'. This is the first thing she hears: "Well, I think I'd wanna be a fish for like a day, but if it was for a long time, then I'd be a bird." And then they asked me a serious question: "Karen, what's the biggest bird that can still fly?" Man, I love my friends.

Three other notes about birds, come to think of it:
1. I HATE birds. They're creepy, seemingly emotionless, loud, sometimes ugly, greedy, cutthroat, diseased, and dirty. And there are a LOT of birds here, so naturally, I'm super pumped. I've already been dive-bombed innumerable times...it's an inevitable part of every day around here. Ugh.

2. On my way back from the station yesterday morning, I saw a bird (an UGLY bird) picking through a pile of vomit and eating the bits of some sort of tomato-y food therein. I actually said aloud: "Gross!!!" Needless to say, the bird just kept on chowin' down. Icky.

3. On the same trip back from the station, I was walking by the Politie. This is the spot that, last summer, saw a bird actually poop on me as I walked with my friends to a dance club. I can't even tell you how traumatic it is to try to dance salsa, knowing that you have bird shit somewhere in your hair, but I digress...So I'm roughly in the same place. And I spotted some poop of the avian nature up ahead on the sidewalk. Like a LOT of it. I go to step around it, and something miraculous happens: I could actually SMELL the bird poop. That has NEVER happened to me before. And while it was extremely wretched in so many ways, I think it's an important event in my life. I bet it was the same goddamn bird as before, too. Fuckers.

Okay, now I'm kinda pissed off, so I think I'll be done for now. But I leave you with this...
Reason #2,387,496 That Karen Broman Should Drink In Moderation: Sometimes, two years ago, I apparently promised a guy that I would lose my virginity to no one but him. And now he wants to cash in on that promise. I'm still unscathed as of yet, but seeing as he's a guy I actually WOULD consider having sex with, I better keep my guard up and my drinks down. Or at least wear three pairs of pants simultaneously every single day.

Next time...umm...something about Vienna. Cuz I'll be there. :)

7:01 AM
Comments: Post a Comment
spacer